Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice and Oppression

Being an African-American woman entails having countless incidents of bias, prejudice and oppression directed towards you in both overt and overt ways. One particular incident involved myself and some childhood friends of mine. We were walking to school as we were all middle school-aged children. During the early to mid-nineties there was an influx of skinheads in our area and increased racially motivated violence. Skinheads are a subgroup of youth that make their stance of white power known through violence and antagonizing other races of people. As we were walking and talking we head a car speed behind of really fast and the dreaded "n-word" being used numerous times. Our initial reaction was to run to a safe place, which we did but we never left one another's side. Safe to say we made it to school without further incident and reported the information to the proper authorities and school personnel.

As I think about this incident feelings of anger, frustration, fear, relief and trust pop into my mind. Anger and fear come to mind as I remember being fearful for what may happen to a group of children from black, white and bi-racial ethnicity's. The feelings of relief and trust come about as I am thankful and blessed that we were safe. I also say trust because that incident brought us pre-teens closer together. My feelings of frustration as it is 2012 and I continue to hear about incidents such as this and some incidents more graphic and violent that involves bias, prejudice, oppression and some form of an "ism."

This incident diminished the diversity that is prevalent in this country and in my local neighborhood by continuance of the overt use of white privilege, the use of power over others, racism, and superiority. At that time, I believed that the rights that my ancestors and other fought and died for were in vain. This incident also taught me that anyone can be treated in an unjust and unfair way. In order for such as incident to changed for an opportunity for greater equity, the mindsets of both the skinheads and even the group I was with would have to change. These mindsets and beliefs include:inferiority and superiority, power, and so on.

3 comments:

  1. Anetria,
    As much as I would like to think our society has changed over the years in terms of acceptance of all people, your experience clearly shows that we still have a ways to go. I think as early childhood professionals , we are in the position to impact change in the work we do with children and their families in our respective programs. Courses such as the one we are currently in have helped me become more mindful as in interact with others both personally and professionally.
    I appreciate your sharing your insight on diversity.
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it was really good that you all stood your ground and didn't run. Those people obviously wanted to see you run. Even though you felt all of those emotions on the inside, they couldn't see them on the outside which didn't give them what they wanted. You did the right thing. It's so sad that others feel they need to insight fear in others to have power.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anetria!
    As I read your post, I try to imagine what I would do or how I would react if I experienced the same thing. I feel bad that you had to go through something like this due to the huge problem of 'isms' in this country. It is scary that anyone can be treated unfairly. It was the right thing to do to report the incident and you have proven that you are of strong character. Thanks for increasing awareness of the ongoing problem of prejudice!

    ReplyDelete