Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Personal Research Journey

My research topic is Poverty and its developmental effects on young children. I chose this topic due to my past and present experiences in working with children and their families. This topic is a passion near to me as I am dedicated to improving the well-being and quality of life. I am a firm believer that all children should have equal chances in education, health among other factors. Observing the socio-economic differences between children, I have also observed the differences in social, emotional, motor, educational development within children as well.

I found my recent topic to be somewhat easy to come with however, the subtopics were difficult to me as I found many subtopics that deal with children and poverty. I felt a intimidated when I read the title of the course because it has been almost a decade since I have formally conducted any research. However, within this past two weeks, I have found it fairly easy to locate information especially from the Walden University Library and books that I have read in the past.

At this point, I would like to ask my colleagues to provide any information on websites, resources and also their personal and professional opinions on my research topic of poverty.

6 comments:

  1. Anetria,
    I think it is so great that we wil be reserach similar topics and I hope that I could be of an assitance. If you gain any new experiences that you would like to share please do so. This is not just something I want to write about but it is a passion that I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McKenzie,

      Thank you! And yes, I will definitely be of assistance to you. This is also a passion of mine.

      Delete
  2. Anetria,

    I think your topic is a good one because I think the result of the research would contribute a lot towards equity of children’s healthy development and it won’t be so hard to find sources since it is a big issue that many professionals and researchers are interested in.
    Me and my friend, who lived in Mexico, had a chance to talk about the poverty levels she saw when she was in Mexico. Her descriptions of the impoverished areas seemed to be much worse than poverty here so we agreed on that what we see as problem might not be considered so to new Mexican immigrants coming from places where the basics here are considered luxuries by many. So, we wondered if they might not feel it urgent to get out of poverty here because it is still better than their lives back in Mexico, and they might think that going to preschool is not necessary because of the fact that they can send children to k-12 public schools. I hope this conversation could help you to think the topic further.

    Good luck!

    Aya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aya,

    I have a co-worker who travels to Mexico annually for mission trips and I continue to be dumbfounded in her stories of the level of poverty that families, especially children face in Mexico.

    Thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anetria,
    It sounds like you have an excellent start to your research. I too am finding it hard to break down my topic into sub-topics and was not sure I even used the right sub-topic question for the second part of this week's assignment. I may be changing questions if needed.
    Good luck! We are all anxious to hear your results.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anetria
    I share your believe that there should be equal chances for all children in education, health and other factors. However, it seems background often affects most of the children, but that notwithstanding, if we try to locate them I believe we can render assistance to them. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete