Saturday, September 22, 2012

Communication Strategies

As I ponder on the many instances in which I communicate with others who are culturally different than me, I find that my communication styles vary. I find that the these instances are based upon the settings and/or situations that I am involved in. These settings, whether they be in the workplace, local eateries, at home; while I am communicating with my neighbors and other locations.

While I am continuing to learn about communication and while I am learning better communication techniques, I feel that utilizing the following three strategies to become a better communicator both professionally and personally:

1). Learn to be become a more action-oriented listener as I am first a people-oriented listener and less tasks are accomplished. This primarily occurs in the workplace.

2). Lessen my incidents of rudeness. I am aware of instances where I may appear to be rude and easily frustrated, which can be observed in my matter of fact speech and language.

3). Become more knowledgeable about the cultural differences of others in order to become more empathetic to help others.

Using these strategies will assist me in becoming a better communicator while building positive relationships with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment